Monday, October 11, 2010

How I Learn

When I am seeking information about something work-related, such as electricity or energy efficiency, the first thing I do is turn to a coworker to see if they have already researched the topic.  I have learned a great deal of information from my coworkers.  Often times, one of us will then seek more information on the internet.  If I am wondering about something relatively foreign, one thing I like to do is start with a Google search.  This usually brings up a Wikipedia article that I can use to learn key phrases to help me better formulate my question.  For work, I do a lot of research on websites such as Department of Energy, Energy Information Administration, and Canada’s Energy Kids site.  I have grown to trust these sites for their data and factual information.

Once I have figured out the answer to my question, or at least learned a bit more, I will typically tell my coworker(s) about my findings.  We tend to spend a good deal of time bouncing ideas back and forth, seeing if the new information makes sense and how it applies to our work.  I also usually write an email to all the people on our staff (there are only six of us!) describing what I have learned.  Since we are teaching kids about energy efficiency and electricity, it helps to share in this way.  You never know what a student may ask, so more pertinent knowledge is a good thing!

When I compare what I just wrote to the basic principles of connectionism (Davis et al., 2008), I see many parallels.  For example, when I discuss issues with my coworkers, I am learning by hearing about their different experiences and opinions.  That being said, I do not rely wholly on people for my learning, as my own experiences have been a powerful learning resource.  I am constantly learning about new connections between different topics – energy and the environment, for example – and trying to impart those connections to my students, too.  As mentioned before, I am constantly learning new information.  We all see technology changing before our eyes, but what also changes is our understanding of different topics.  To be a life-long learner is to continually evaluate one’s prior knowledge as it pertains to new information learned.

Resources
Davis, C, Edmunds, E, & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved 11 October 2010, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/.

No comments:

Post a Comment